• doors_3
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Many popular sites have dropped it. New sites often don’t support it in the first place. In cases they do, it’s a truncated version. Only a snippet/topic is visible and rest relinks to a browser. It is still better than nothing but the halcyon days of RSS are gone, IMO.

• PeachMan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

The truncated versions are annoying, but honestly I understand why. These websites live entirely off ad sales, without them they go bankrupt. So letting RSS readers scrape an ad-free version of an article makes no sense to them.

• masterspace@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I’ve been using RSS for literally 18 years and that has always been the case. News sites make money by advertising, they get no advertising if you just read the RSS feed, so they give you a snippet.

It would be nice if every site was like Arstechnica and gave you a full text ad free RSS feed when you pay to subscribe.

• thehatfox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

The difficulties in monetisation is what had been slowly killing RSS support on websites. There have been services that have tried to solve this problem, one is mentioned in the article, but they don’t seem to have had wide adoption.

It’s not just inserting ads either, today it’s also the pervasive tracking that makes money.

RSS was great for things like personal blogs, but commercial sites came to see little value in it, and have been dropping it as a result.

• morrowind@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Why not? That’s based on the current system of websites loading in third party ad providers. If you include the ads in the article/have sponsors etc. they will come through the rss.

It’s not perfect, but newsletters are making do it with just fine. I read a couple newsletters with them but make no effort to remove them like I do with web articles, because they are not disruptive, inappropriate, heavy or privacy invasive.

• BolexForSoup@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

Newsletters =/= RSS feeds. Newsletters provide a direct way to talk to your audience about subscriptions, fundraising, merchandise, etc. in a way more effective way than RSS feeds provide. Additionally, newsletters require me to give them my email address, which they can use for promos and all sorts of purposes (or sell off). That’s not even getting into all the granular data they get via trackers and suck in newsletters.

An RSS feed is me grabbing a periodical off a stand. A newsletter is giving them my address and mailbox.