I got some good quality noise cancelling headphones 12 months ago and thought they were great. Since doing more reading about ASD and ADHD, I’ve come to understand I have some sensory issues.

I bought some Loop earplugs a few weeks ago after reading about them in other ASD threads and I love wearing them when driving, shopping or in doctor’s waiting rooms. I feel much less anxious and tense.

After doing some more reading and reflection, I think that a weighted blanket might be helpful and so I ordered one.

I’ve been using softer, less jarring alarms and ringtones for years and started using the Smiling Mind phone app recently which has been helpful.

I was wondering if there are any assistive tools/devices/tips that any other ASD people have found that have had a major impact on their lives that they might like that share?

• Catoblepas@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I love the shit out of my Loop earplugs, for the first time in my life I’ve been able to deal with an ambulance driving by me with the siren on without feeling like I’m being vibrated apart. It was just a (still somewhat loud) noise. Normal traffic and social noise is so much easier to deal with too. If anyone knows of a cheaper brand that gives similar results please feel free to name drop it, but until then I’m shilling for Loop, haha.

I’ve been using a smart watch that I got as a gift to give me medication reminders and hourly reminders to get up and walk during the day, since I’m prone to hyper focus. It’s definitely made remembering to physically take care of myself easier. I’ve also grown to prefer the wrist vibration alarm to wake me up, since sound alarms have ALWAYS given me a horrible adrenaline punch in the morning.