• HubertManne@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

That is good but the specfic equipment needs to run on the energy created. Mining equipment and manufacturing. So if the mining equipment is all electrical then there will be loses in the energy harvested. As far as I know this is an open question. So theoretically the energy is surplus but can just the energy of the wind and solar completely power the equipment. Currently they do not as we use fossel fuel equipment. Of course the energy of the construction of equipment needs to be taken into consideration as well. Also manufacturing that uses massive heat tends to use fossil fuel. Don’t get me wrong im not trying to disparage wind/solar. Far from it but last I knew we have not gotten to were we have unhooked fossil fuel from the process so currently it acts as a sort of energy multiplier where rather than burning oil for X amount of energy we can use it as part of the mining/construction process of wind/solar and get that multiplier fro eroi. this is why this article is big to me as its creating fuel which could possibly take fossil fuel out of the solar/wind creation process. at least I hope.

• A_A@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Reading, entirely, again, this Wikipedia article you can realize, they are discussing such inputs as steel, “mining equipment” or whatever. They also discuss why there has to be limits on the details of the calculation and why, despite such limits, results of the calculation are still valid.

Technology benefits from simple explanations and sentences. Your comments are hard to read in a technical way.