• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeps. One of my electives at uni was the history of the US constitution law for non-legal majors. I had to take 2 history classes for my degree and I thought it would be an interesting subject. Not only read it also had it read to me by my professor. He was a retired JAG officer and militant ACLU supporter.

• CuriousLibrarian@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I guess we need to know what people consider long. The full document is longer than the Declaration of Independence , which I know a lot better. I can’t remember having to read the Constitution in school, just the preamble and a couple of amendments. This doesn’t excuse my ignorance though. Thanks for providing the whole document.

• SJ0@lemmy.fbxl.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

I think compared to most governments on the planet, the US Federal government was supposed to be a tiny one. That’s why it’s not supposed to be allowed to do virtually anything it does today.

The workarounds to grow the federal government are kinda like you’re stuck on a desert island and all you have is coconuts, so you build your house out of coconuts, you build your car with coconuts, you build a wife with coconuts, you build your kids with coconuts, a whole society built out of coconuts. It’s like "This is impressive, but what the hell made you think this was the intent of the assignment?

• Chrobin
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I just looked it up and it seems that the German constitution has more than 350 pages. But the first 20 sections contain the most important and almost unchangeable foundaries.

• Sotuanduso@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

For a book, remarkably short.
        For a news article, quite long.
        For a legal document, who reads those anyways?

• Dozzi92@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m a reader. I’ve never read the constitution though, fiction only. I also think it’s too old, can’t get into the classics as much as more contemporary lit.

• uphillbothways@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Reading it and going over the contents is also a part of standard US high school curriculum. It’s a graduation requirement. At least, it was when I graduated high school in California in the 90’s.

• saltesc@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

We did similar in primary school in Australia. A big portion of the seventh grade is learning about the Westminster style of government, state and federal roles, and the courts. We even did our own class parliament session each week to debate and try pass different levels of law. We were able to get Grade 7s a specific hang out area at the school cafe passed based on our lower house (classroom) sittings, then our senate (Prefects and the primary school principal) passing it.

• Gazumi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Constitution or clinical studies, MAGA people will take a devout view, that they read online at MAGA.

• Carighan Maconar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Damn, that is pretty short. I’m not American but I had always just automatically assumed it would have to be hundreds of pages. No clue why, of course, just some subconscious bias.