• sinkingship@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

As I understood by now, the path governments want to go is an “overshoot path” where we “temporarily” cross targets and rely on carbon storage (both natural and artificial) to go back. Artificial carbon storage isn’t really here yet and natural is going.

I wish I could still believe in humanity finding an answer to the climate crisis dilemma.

• Doug Holland@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m not familiar with this “overshoot path,” but whatever, what little the strategy of the world’s governments, it’s not a fraction of what’s needed.

We are staring at a collapse that’s going to end modern civilization as we know it.

• sinkingship@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s basically a pathway, where the world temporarily exceeds the 1.5 degree goal and kind of hopes on massive carbon capture technology, so that by 2100 the temperatures would go back to or below 1.5 degrees.

No, I’m on one page with you, I don’t see that happen. I assume soon we’ll stop talk about the 1.5 goal but talk about the 2 degree goal is still feasible if we would do this and that. Then we’ll talk about “temporarily” overshooting 2 degrees.

Then I don’t know. Maybe we’ll have a 3 degree goal or maybe we’ll be just busy with staying alive.

• Almostarctic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Forget aging trees. Canadian forests are ablaze basically wiping out any green reductions in CO2 emmissions from industry or consumers. Besides the loss of property, wildlife and hopefully NOT people, it will take a long time for the Canadian Boreal forest to actually be an active carbon sink again.