Recently bought a new laptop that comes with an AMD Radeon gpu and installed OpenSuse Tumbleweed on it which I had installed on my previous laptop as well but never had issues with suspending and resuming. However, with the new laptop, I am unable to resume after suspending or closing the lid unless I force it to shut down by holding the power button which is a major inconvenience.

I’m also dual booting alongside Windows and have secure boot enabled and have the Linux and Windows partitions encrypted if that’s what’s causing it which I doubt since this is the same setup I had on my old laptop

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I was able to figure out that it does not suspend at all when I close the lid or click the suspend button on Gnome. Only found this out because when going through YaST Services Manager and manually starting systemctl suspend, the laptop suspends just fine and wakes back up. So I’m starting to think it’s more of a systemd issue? Any inputs?

Edit: turns out it was an issue with the official opensuse built kernel not sitting well. Downloaded a community version from the opensuse repository and it works fine. Very odd

• MagneticFusion@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I was able to figure out that it does not suspend at all when I close the lid or click the suspend button on Gnome. Only found this out because when going through YaST Services Manager and manually starting systemctl suspend, the laptop suspends just fine and wakes back up. So I’m starting to think it’s more of a systemd issue? Any inputs?

• kusivittula@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

had the same issue on nobara and i always thought it was nvidia problems. for me the only solution was to use another distro :( sometimes ctrl + alt + F2 or F1 got me back to the login screen.

• CameronDev@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I have/had a similar issue, but for an old nvidia laptop. What happens if you get it to suspend and resume again? Mine would come back the second time.

• MagneticFusion@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Unfortunately does not work for me because the screen is black and the laptop is suspended and refuses to wake up

• KryptonBlur@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I don’t have any advice, but I just wanted to confirm I have the same issue sometimes with my laptop running fedora.

• souperk@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

If you use a recent release of Fedora (last 2-3 years). Try disabling WiFi and/or Bluetooth before suspending. There is an issue with some hardware, especially adapters. It doesn’t happen everytime, and it’s hard to accurately reproduce. Also, the symptoms can vary from black screen to sudo being stuck.

• ShaunaTheDead@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Are you using the dedicated GPU as your primary GPU or the integrated GPU? I’ve found using the dGPU as the primary can sometimes lead to suspend/resume issues.

• Gunpachi@lemmings.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I have a similar issue but for me the black screen comes at random times when I open, close or move my windows or mouse.

I found a temporary fix for it by checking out the archwiki amdgpu page

But it still occurs , especially when I wake up my computer after suspending it.

• paradox2011@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I know it’s not super helpful, but I’ll add that this happens to me periodically on my EndeavourOS, Intel based desktop as well. Not even all of the time, just sometimes when it suspends. It seemed to get better when I changed my settings to hybrid sleep, but it just happened again yesterday, so I’m back to square one. Bookmarking to check for possible solutions later.

• Goingdown@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I have seen this on HP laptop with WWAN device installed. Disabled device from Bios and problem went away.

• souperk@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

It’s a wild guess, but try to disable Bluetooth or WiFi before suspending.

It’s doesn’t happen with all hardware, but it is a knowing issue.

• Hector@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

It is happening to me too on my surface tablet. Do you have TLP installed? Just out of curiosity

• olympicyes@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I have this same problem when passing an AMD GPU to a virtual machine on my Linux desktop. It works the first time and then doesn’t initialize the card on reset. What you’re experiencing sounds an awful lot like the AMD Reset Bug. In my case a host machine restart resets the card. I’d suggest checking the bios to see if it’s got some kind of quick restart feature that is intended for Windows. Not being able to close the lid is unacceptable. You should return it if you can or run windows.