I’ve put together a collage of some books from last months What are you Reading? post. It’s mostly random, but the more discussion something gets the more it stands out to me. Going forward I’m going to make a new post every month to talk about what people are reading.

Here is last months post. What are you Reading? (July 2023)

At any rate, what are you currently reading or plan to read in August?

• Chetzemoka@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I have Kim Stanley Robinson’s Mars Trilogy on my shelf waiting for me to finish The Expanse series. Maybe that?

Also, book 7 of The Expanse becomes a lot easier because you stop having the TV show to compare to. And let me tell you, you think you know what Duarte is doing on Laconia, but my friend you don’t. The prologue of book 7 has one of those “I’m sorry, WHAT” moments that really launches you into the next story arc

• Bach37strad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yes yes yes red mars is amazing. At first I was like oh great another 600 page scifi novel, but Holy shit is that some classic hard scifi that draws you in. The literal world building and charecter development is fantastic.

• Kylamon1@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Thatars trilogy took me by surprise. At first it felt slow and dry, but I kept on. It definitely is a unique perspective on colonization and I really enjoyed it in the end.

• SubPrimeBadger@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’ve been debating starting the Expanse book series. I was a huge fan of the show but never read the books. Watched the whole series twice now. Is it recommended to star at book 1 or would it be advised to start at like book 7 so it follows the series?

• MrTulip@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The show stays pretty true to the books, but there’s enough differences that I’d recommend starting with book 1.

Biggest change I can think of is Drummer. The show’s Drummer is like 3 or 4 characters from the books rolled into one. Book Drummer had a smaller roll.

• Chetzemoka@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I really think the books up to #4 Cibola Burn are worth the read. The TV series is kind of like a final edit of the books, and it’s really fascinating to see the changes the authors chose to make. But you get a lot more detail about the situations and the larger impact in the books.

That said, I reeeeally struggled with books 5 & 6 for only one reason: I hate Marco Inaros SO. MUCH. Which honestly just demonstrates how good these authors are. It was really hard for me to walk though the Inaros plot after having seen it through to completion in the show.

But now on book 7, I’m flying though the book again because I need to know where all of this is going and how our beloved characters are gonna get themselves out of this one

• Mikko Karvonen@piipitin.fi
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

@Chetzemoka @sciencefiction

I very much share this experience with the series. Book 5 and 6 were the low point. I was more interested in the world building and everything related to it, and less so in the human conflicts. Final three books were great again, and eight probably my favourite in the whole series.