I’ve put together a collage of some books from last months What are you Reading? post. It’s mostly random, but the more discussion something gets the more it stands out to me. Going forward I’m going to make a new post every month to talk about what people are reading.

Here is last months post. What are you Reading? (July 2023)

At any rate, what are you currently reading or plan to read in August?

• Eyelessoozeguy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Currently reading Blindsight, I’m honestly surprised how many people get interested when I tell them I’m reading about space vampires.

Needed it to take a break from all the new to me ideas in three body problem. Learned lots about chinese history. Wasnt ready for the second one.

Blindsight feels like all the scifi trope bundled together.

• Root
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

“Space Vampires” is an infinitely better hook than my “It’s about…uh…conciousness…and stuff.” But I hate to tell you that Blindsight isn’t any lighter on new radical ideas than 3BP. For the sequel I had to read an AMA with Watts just to get the gist of it. (Three “gods” duking it out in a game of 5D chess with different and evolving goals for each participant through the eyes of a mortal.) Oh, and there is a fun supplement on Youtube, a (fake) TED Talk about Vampires and Evolution, by the man himself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEOUaJW05bU

• Root
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Blindsight is exquisitely crafted. It has layers like an onion.

• cpjoa
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I love this story and its atmosphere. You might also want to take a look into the stories of the Sunflowers cycle by Peter Watts