Is the performance for docked games better in game mode or desktop mode? Let’s say CS:GO - would the performance (docked) be better in game mode (resolution set in properties to 1080p) or desktop mode (1080p)? Thanks.

How do you use your Steam Deck docked?

• JaxiiRuff@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Definitely desktop mode. Its a smoother transition to switch to desktop mode then plug into the dock then when done unplug and back to game mode.

I even renamed the shortcut ‘handheld mode’ cause it makes more sense to me. Alt tabbing and multitasking is critical and I just prefer the experience with how fun customising KDE is.

• foggenbooty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I disagree as in desktop mode you will be using X11 and will not have access to the features that gamescope provides. So I would still game docked in Game mode.

• JaxiiRuff@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Ultimately those options dont matter to me as much on desktop mode as I see them more as battery saving options than features. Except for capping fps and global FSR but the latter can be enabled using proton-ge so…

And while I prefer wayland stuff to X11, X is still okay to use until Valve decides when its ready to change. The way I like to think of it is using the desktop mode for games like TF2 or Battlebit. Easy enough to run at decent fps and more fun and accessible to play on bigger screens. Cant forget alt tabbing to music and discord.