alias updog="sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y"

to your .bashrc or .zshrc

• discomatic@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Wait… what? I didn’t even consider this could be an option. Is anyone willing to point me at some accurate information about how to get started? Like… where do I put a bash file, and how is it structured? How can I automate it? So many questions. I’m only sort of familiar with bash, as in I’ve seen the term and watched my coworker do some wizardry once.

• ChickenAndRice@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I think this is an easier way to do it:

add this to a file called .bash_aliases instead (it should be a file right next to .bashrc, if not just create it)

You can add aliases to .bashrc with this, but I personally perfer to have aliases in their own file

Another thing, if you have a console window open while adding it, restart it so that the console is aware of the aliases. Alternatively, google something like “sourcing bashrc” or “sourcing aliases” and apply the commands you find

If you wish to add aliases to a bash script (for later automation), you add these two lines

shopt -s expand_aliases

source ~/.bash_aliases

but of course add this to the top of your bash scripts, so that your script knows to use the bash shell:

#!/bin/bash