So far, I have to say that my #KDE #Plasma6 experience sucks.

The theme I was using doesn’t work. The icons all suck. EventCalendar, which was synced to my Google calendar is dead. Vivaldi looks like crap. The panel at the bottom of my screen is floating up probably 100 pixels, leaving useless space below it, I can’t find a way to sink it to the actual bottom of the screen. I had increased all my font sizes because my eyes are bad, they have all shrunk and changing the font sizes and the interface percentage doesn’t fix it.

So far, not a happy experience @kde

• Fleppensteyn@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

People really don’t like to hear bad experiences, judging by the downvotes. But I agree it’s a really bad upgrade and it’s not ready for use at all.

My experience with Plasma6 upgrade:

• A new, but empty, floating panel was installed and my existing panels all got mangled up so I had to delete everything and make a new panel
    • SDDM doesn’t use my selected theme and displays a huge virtual keyboard that blocks half the screen (changing themes doesn’t help)
    • Icons are broken and ugly (changing icon sets didn’t help me), mainly because “missing” icons are replaced by black icons on a black background
    • Kvantum doesn’t work, so I can’t use my theme
    • Conky always stays on top and breaks the desktop
    • The screen goes on standby while watching movies
    • Win+Tab to get grid view no longer works
    • Terminal shows squares instead of unicode symbols
    • Shutdown/reboot/log off no longer works from the start menu, I have to manually run sudo shutdown
    • Scrollbar behavior got broken (at least this is fixed with a setting)
    • It’s trying to set Wayland to standard even though it still doesn’t work
    • Animations don’t work anymore
    • Hovering over a start menu entry (to open a menu) also opens a “plasmashell <2>” on the taskbar

Don’t upgrade if you haven’t already.

• MylesRyden@social.vivaldi.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

@Fleppensteijn

I would agree with with many of the issues you have experienced here. Nothing personal, but I am kinda glad, I thought I was going crazy and was the only one having these issues.

Totally agree on the shutdown, etc.

Biggest thing that is broken for me is simple window management. If I have two apps on a desktop, clicking on the the bottom one doesn’t raise it to the top. If I open a context menu (for example, right clicking on a link in the browser) the menu opens UNDER the browser.

On my machine, 6 is not ready for prime time. And I have no idea how to categorize things to try and report the bugs. Could be Wayland issues, but I can’t figure out how to start a Plasma 6 session in X11 to see if the problems go away. Maybe my window issues are a result of using Activities (which apparently no one else does) but I don’t want to shut all that down.

I’ve decided to (re-)install Kubuntu to go back to 5.27 and hopefully come back when 6 is actually ready.

• Fleppensteyn@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

You can compile Kvantum yourself with some cmake flag, that’s how I got it working. Some things look a little different and blur effect doesn’t work. So yeah, not really ready.