I’ve been working on my Spanish. Now if only I could afford it.

• pooh [she/her, any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I think this building is right near where the CIA bombed a yacht club in the 90’s to try to damage Cuba’s tourism industry. A lot of people have never heard of that, and I didn’t know about it until recently. One of the same CIA agents who was involved with that (among others) was also responsible for blowing up a Cuban airliner in the 70’s killing 73 innocent people. He was on trial in the US a couple of times but got off each time and never ended up facing any punishment for his crimes:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Posada_Carriles

the-more-you-know

• GVAGUY3 [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Same. My Spanish is ass tho. Also apparently Cuban Spanish can be extremely fast when spoken. The Mexican and Cuban repair guys at my apartment complex have to talk to each other in English because the Cuban guy speaks too fast.

• bdonvr@thelemmy.clubOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

The problem for me isn’t the speed… I don’t want to generalize but of the ones I know it seems like they don’t open their mouth quite as much when they speak and that makes it difficult a lot of times, plus somewhat unique (small) differences from the rest of Latin America.

• penitentkulak [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Went while only knowing a few words of Spanish, you have a few embarrassing moments but it all works out lol.

Sadly I missed this theatre on my visit, but I would also would recommend seeing a ballet at the Grand Theatre in Havana. Beautiful inside, and the Cuban National Ballet was great.

• bdonvr@thelemmy.clubOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

According to recent Google reviews it’s closed for renovations :(

So is the Museo de la Revolución :(

• penitentkulak [none/use name]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

The Museo de revolucion was great but definitely in need of a bit of a refresh so that’s nice to hear. Surprised the grand theatre is getting renovated, it had just finished being completely restored a few years before I went and it was pristine inside. Hopefully it’s just minor fixes and it can reopen again soon.