When a brandnew sub opens on another Lemmy instance, your instance doesn’t know about it, thus you can’t search for it from your own instance.

TIL how to “tell” my instance that this remote sub exists.

• Go to “Communities” in the Lemmy Web Interface
  • Search for !community@instance.something. For example !todayilearned@lemmy.ml
  • Now do another search for “todayilearned”
  • Done. The sub is now searchable for everyone on your instance and you can subscribe to it.
    • TeaHands@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It is the same principle (needing to search for it once before it’ll be visible in search for your whole instance) but for Kbin magazines I’ve found I need to search for the actual URL of the magazine rather than using the ! syntax.

• RomanRoy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, the format is a bit different. Maybe @community@instance.xyz, I can’t recall right now.

But yes, it works. I actually had better luck with kbin also being federated to some instances that are usually defederated by a lot of instances.

• TeaHands@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

For whatever reason I couldn’t get that format to work either, only the url. But then I know Kbin has been having issues with federating over the last week so maybe it is supposed to work and I just got unlucky. Moral of the story, I guess try both and see lol.

• Augapfel@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It didn’t work for me when I tried to search for ! geocaching@lemmy.world on feddit.de. It says no result and also consecutive searches show nothing.

Edit: I wasn’t logged in in the web interface. Now it worked.