• SuperSynthia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

That’s great to hear. It’s a nice little program suite for at home, and I hope one day it can compete against Google/Microsoft’s offerings

• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

For 90% of the public that is not attached to a major business, corporation or institution … Libreoffice is more than enough.

And even for small offices and small groups or companies, LibreOffice is more than enough.

The only difference comes when you have to set up a mass system with hundreds or thousands or systems and people to interconnect an office system do the big companies opt for Microsoft office.

• jayandp@sh.itjust.works
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

The main issue I run into is that even when I use a standard format like ODF, sending a document to someone using a different office suite often leads to various formatting breaking. It’s to the point that if I know the person I’m sending the document to, isn’t going to be editing it, I send it as a PDF.

I felt deceived when Microsoft added ODF file support, only for formatting to still break when exporting/importing from another suite. What was the point if I’d get the same results as loading a DOCX in Libre Office?

• spider@lemmy.nz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

I felt deceived when Microsoft added ODF file support, only for formatting to still break when exporting/importing from another suite.

Given that it’s M$, I suspect this isn’t a bug, but a feature.

• Pantherina@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

They just need what Collabora and Onlyoffice do, but actually integrated into Libreoffice not some weird online suite.

• Helix 🧬@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Sadly all of our huge customers use MS Office and we have to dogfeed ourselves with the whole MS 365 suite. That’s 70€ per month per user down the holes of Microsoft execs.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

If it would scale to enterprise level that’s a game changer. It would lead to Linux just clobbering the pc market space.

I’m forced into Office suite at my work and I have to fight it.

• 520@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I would say that LibreOffice could potentially be more important than just a competitor to Google/MS.

With Google’s offering being cloud based and MS pushing the same way, in 10 years LO could be the main office suite that’s fully available offline.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

That absolutely astounds me but your right. Especially crazy considering at any point something could happen to your internet then you’re fucked.

• The Menemen!@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

It can easily compete with Google. It is much better imo. Only thing Google does better is the document sharing. MS Office is a different thing.