This is GREAT news. This means they can focus on making great original games and not be dragged into working on call of duty. Please just give me a new Spyro.

• Dizzy Devil Ducky@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Under normal circumstances, I’d never recommend a remake/remaster of a game, but the Reignited Trilogy is the only acception so far.

I love how in the 3rd game, it fixes the issue I have where the game will stop the music when you get close to the black portals that take you to the minigames like sections in levels. When the music would stop in the original, I never liked it as a kid because it made me feel uncomfortable. It still does.

Hell, there was one section that wasn’t even scary but still used to absolutely scare me as a kid that I didn’t even realize I already passed on the Trilogy. But when playing on an emulator before getting the trilogy, I got absolute dread at the same part. Absolutely made me feel a similar terror to when I would play as a kid. Don’t remember the level, but it’s the portal thing leading to the circular water arena area.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Under normal circumstances, I’d never recommend a remake/remaster of a game, but the Reignited Trilogy is the only acception so far.

I don’t have a strong memory of the original, and I haven’t actually played the remaster, but was the Crash remaster not also good?

I would definitely add the Age of Empires Definitive Editions to that list, too. 2 and 3, at least. And fingers crossed for Age of Mythology Retold.

• GreenAlex@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

The Crash remake is definitely an improvement for the first game as it lacked analogue support. The others, at least as a lifelong fan, bit of a mixed bag. Good and well done, but I prefer the PS1 version of the second two games. The physics are less precise in the remakes and the graphical and musical changes give it a worse atmosphere for me. But for a newbie, they’re still great.

• Dizzy Devil Ducky@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

I don’t have the Crash remaster, so I don’t know. I also haven’t played the original Crash games before Revenge of Cortex, so I wouldn’t have any reference as to how good they are compared to the original.

Hell, I only have reference to how good the Reignited Trilogy is to Year of the Dragon since that’s the first Spyro game I ever played.

I also have never played Age of Empires, so I’ll take your word on that one.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Gateway to Glimmer was the one I owned as a kid, playing a bunch of 1 at a friend’s house and renting 3 a few times from the video rental store. I had really fond memories of the unique mechanics in 3 and was very excited to see the game remastered so I could finally sit down and play through the whole thing in one relatively short amount of time.