CW: Nazi

There are hundreds of QTs from Nazis talking about how they were the smartest kids ever but the damn (((education system))) hampered them, and anyone who doesn’t believe that they’re hyper geniuses is simply a seething lib.

You’re supposed to get over the “I was a gifted kid” stuff by the time you’re 20.

• Commander_Data [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The funny thing is, what they call “gifted” is just someone with a really efficient data storage and recall system. I was a “gifted” kid, always 98/99th percentile on every standardized test I took, but when it comes to things like synthesis of knowledge and generating new ideas, the truly creative stuff, I’m average at best. The educational system needs a new definition of gifted, new ways to identify those people and new modes of engagement to help them develop their gifts. That new definition still wouldn’t include these guys, though, who believe they’re gifted because they see through (((the conspiracy))). Bro, you’ve got narcissistic personality disorder, sit down and shut up.

• FreakingSpy [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I was a “gifted” kid, always 98/99th percentile on every standardized test I took, but when it comes to things like synthesis of knowledge and generating new ideas

Same. Read me a text then give me a multiple-choice test and I’ll get every question right.

Read me a text then ask me what I learned, what it could be a metaphor for, what other texts express similar ideas? Uhhhhhhh

• Dirt_Owl [comrade/them, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Interesting that their solution is never to make the school teach them at a higher education level or to make schools better funded and managed. Almost like they aren’t actually smart. Smart people tend to want to learn. Actual smart can also get frustrated with schools, but more so because schools are underfunded, teachers are underpaid and don’t receive adequate training, and schools are made to churn out workers, rather than proclaiming there is nothing that they can be taught.

Although smart people don’t tend to believe outdated race science either so I guess that’s pretty self-explanatory

I had a kid in my class in high school who was actually smart. Do you know what happened? The teacher started giving her university-level work and she got to get credit for higher education at a younger age. She became a pilot.

She never was like “Man, I’m so smart that I don’t need to learn. I should be out of school and being an entrepreneur or some shit.”

90% of these “I’m too smart.” people are just small business tyrants that want kids leaving school early so they can get some cheap, easily exploited labor

• kristina [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

For me I just wanted out of school asap. Anything that would make me graduate a year early is what I did. Felt like a huge torture facility and I wanted OUT

• Changeling [it/its]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Although smart people don’t tend to believe outdated race science either so I guess that’s pretty self-explanatory

Conventionally intelligent people are actually more likely to believe race science because they’re more likely to have fringe beliefs in general. Turns out being good at manipulating logic makes you good at deluding yourself, too.

I know this wasn’t the point of your post, which I agree with in general. Just a common way for us to slip into the mindset that rationality is a trait rather than a skill which needs to be consciously used.

• Dolores [love/loves]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

social indoctrination is also a category of ‘intelligence’, someone who knows all the rules and how to work within them, who acts properly, is ‘intelligent’ but inside a racist evil society like ours the corollary is they’re also racist

• Ligma_Male [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

yeah i wanted advanced courses that weren’t available to me and now i’m a burnout who thinks we should require some general education hours for all adults every year for your entire life.