Russia says Ukraine targeted Moscow with drones on Sunday, the latest in a series of attacks that have brought the Ukraine war to Russia’s capital.

• Poplar?@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I don’t know anything about war, are attacks like this acceptable? Doesn’t it risk killing civilians?

• SloganLessons@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Unfortunately they are, if enough justification exists. In WW2, both the Allies and Axis would bombard cities with civilians if those had any strategic value (military industries, disruption of logistics, sometimes because soldiers were inside the houses, etc).

Other times, it was to try out hypothesis. Germany started to bombard London to see if the population would become demoralised and demand the government to capitulate. The US sent the infamous Hiroshima and Nagasaki Nuclear Bombs, because they believed the japanese military would not capitulate through conventional means (I recommend reading more about the pacific war if you’re interested, but the bottom line here is that most japanese soldiers were expected to fight to the death, and the US could not treat them like a western power. The nuclear bombs were a bet that they could avoid having to invade Japan itself)

And to be honest things didn’t change that much since then. There might be more awareness of how awful it is, some countries might need better justifications than others before targeting cities, but they do it. The US did it in the middle east, Russia too, etc.

From my average joe point of view, this attack didn’t target anything with strategic value, but the attack itself is a message that Ukraine can reach Moscow.

• MercuryUprising@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Not knowing anything about this war is honestly pretty ignorant of you. Its the most important war on the planet right now, you don’t get to just bury your hed in the sand.

• Bazzatron@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

And boy - what a great way to ensure that nothing is learned!

Here’s a post from someone trying to learn, and get a bit of context from more learned people, and you just shit all over them?

Shameful.

Thanks at least for showing me that actually - the feddeverse isn’t for me. Ta ta!

• stowaway8745@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

You should stay, mercuryuprising should leave if they want to make this a place that doesn’t encourage learning or asking questions.

• mayo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Join another instance if you don’t like the vibe of the big ones.