African leaders are leaving two days of meetings with Russian President Vladimir Putin with little to show for their requests to resume a deal that kept grain flowing from Ukraine and to find a path to end the war there.

• LexiconDexicon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah, I mean make no mistake, Africa has it’s problems but change is certainly happening for the better in Africa from what I remember.

I mean if you want to talk about attacks on homosexuals, I can clearly recall Eastern Europeans attacking gay people in the 1990’s, especially in Poland where it was the worst

While ahead of the 2015 Polish parliamentary election, the ruling Law and Justice (PiS) party took an anti-migrant stance, in the run-up to the 2019 Polish parliamentary election the party has focused on countering Western “LGBT ideology”.[67] Several Polish municipalities and four Voivodeships made so-called “LGBT-free zone” declarations, partly in response to the signing of a declaration in support of LGBTQ rights by Warsaw mayor Rafał Trzaskowski.[67][70] While only symbolic, the declared zones signal exclusion of the LGBT community. The right wing Gazeta Polska newspaper issued “LGBT-free zone” stickers to readers.[71] The Polish opposition and diplomats, including US ambassador to Poland Georgette Mosbacher, condemned the stickers.[72][73] The Warsaw district court ordered that distribution of the stickers should halt pending the resolution of a court case.[74] However Gazeta’s editor dismissed the ruling saying it was “fake news” and censorship, and that the paper would continue distributing the sticker.[75] Gazeta continued with the distribution of the stickers, but modified the decal to read “LGBT Ideology-Free Zone”.[74]

In August 2019, multiple LGBT community members have stated that they feel unsafe in Poland. Foreign funded NGO All Out organization launched a campaign to counter the attacks, with about 10,000 people signing a petition shortly after the campaign launch.[76] 2019 saw a rise of violence directed against Pride marches, including the attacks at the first Białystok Equality March[77][78] and a bombing attempt made at a Lublin march, stopped by the police.[79][80]

In the 2020 Polish presidential election, President Andrzej Duda focused heavily on LGBT issues, stating “LGBT is not people, it’s an ideology, which is more harmful than Communism”. He narrowly won re-election.[81][82] According to ILGA-Europe’s 2020 report, Poland is ranked worst among European Union countries for LGBT rights.[83] On 7 August 2020, 47 people were arrested in Polish Stonewall mass arrest. Some of them were peacefully protesting the arrest of Margot, an LGBT activist, while others were passerby.[84] The Polish Ombudsman criticized human rights violations by the police

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_history_in_Poland

And honestly, much of it is Russian influence, countries that were behind the Iron Curtain for so long have had a hard time adjusting to western values, and the wall only came down in 1989, within many peoples lifetime