Hi rustaceans! What are you working on this week? Did you discover something new, you want to share?

• ExperimentalGuy@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I’m working on a distributed network scanner. Mostly for my own understanding of networking because there’s always something new to learn in this space

• MrHandyMan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Been testing out iced recently. I wish it had a better documentation, but otherwise it’s pretty cool.

• secana@programming.devOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I had the same experience. If you can live with a gpl license, maybe https://slint.dev/ is an alternative. I’ll wait which UI framework becomes the predominantly one, before I start using rust for gui stuff.

• BehindTheBarrier@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Just learning Rust for fun, but decided I wanted to make a simple website. I don’t like web stuff that much, but seen htmx, so I gave that a shot. Found popular actix for the server side, and set out to make a simple blog.

Making a page is simple, using htmx is also simple. Setting out to create an blog that is all in a single evolving page? Not so much. Either you don’t get the essential back and forward navigation, or you add that but a site refresh will call just the partial endpoint and screw things up. There’s some quite nice work arounds, but at the end result is that sometimes going back will leave me on a blank site in one step.

I’m probably going to settle for each blog entry being a seperate page if I make the site public. Or just let the small flaws be there, because I hate sites these days being slow. So loading literally only the text/html that’s supposed to change is very cool.

Next steps is going to remove chances of path traversal and reading literally any file on disk by modifying urls…, some markdown to html crate, and see how image loading works. If I ever get around to any of it.

• dr_robot@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I’m working on a music collection manager with a TUI for myself. I prefer to buy and own music instead of just streaming and I have a selhosted server with ZFS and backups where I keep the music and from which I can stream or download to my devices. There are websites which help you keep track of what you own and have wishlists, but they don’t really satisfy my needs so I decided to create my own. Its main feature is to have an easier overview of what albums I own and don’t own for the artists I’m interested in and to maintain a wishlist based on this for my next purchases. I’m doing it in Rust, because it’s a hobby project and I want to get better at Rust. However, it has paid off in other ways. The type system has allowed me to create a UI that is very safe to add features to without worrying about crashes. Sometimes I actually have to think why it didn’t crash only to find that Rust forced me to correctly handle an optional outcome before even getting to an undefined situation.