I am new to FuckCars, and personally, I feel very much aligned to this ideology. Particularly, the amout of environmental damage the fuel consumption causes, concerns me.

However, sometimes, I feel like I am a hypocrite, because I drive a motorcycle, which again, causes pollution. But, in my defense, I always try to use my bicycle if I can, and use my motorbike only when necessary, because public transportation system isn’t great in my city. Also, the amount of pollutants my bike releases is way less when compared to a car, or even a small hatchback.

The bike in question is only 160cc, and does 30-40 km/litre (~18-25 miles/litre).

So, what is your opinion on all this, and how can I improve my situation?

• atmur@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Better than ICE cars. Way more efficient and doesn’t take up as much space on the road. As long as it’s not one of those deafeningly loud ones, I wouldn’t worry about it. If you’re using your bicycle when you can, you’re already doing more than most people. If money’s no object, you could get an EV motorcycle, but don’t feel like you need to change. I am personally in the same boat as Neato though, I’d never ride one in the US, but that doesn’t really matter for your question.

Personally, I live in suburban hell. Public transit sucks here, there’s nothing in walking distance, and incredibly narrow bike lines (if any at all) to get anywhere useful. I switched to an EV (car) because there’s literally no other way to commute where I live.

• Hyperreality@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Better than ICE cars. Way more efficient

Not necessarily.

Just compare fuel consumption figures, and bizarrely a small car can consume less fuel than a relatively modest bike. Especially if you factor in hybrids or diesels.

And that’s for a car that hopefully transports passengers at least some of the time.

Obviously, I am talking as someone who lives in Europe. While I assume they still sell plenty of small, underpowered and very efficient cars in Asia, I suspect there’s less market for those in the Americas.