I am new to FuckCars, and personally, I feel very much aligned to this ideology. Particularly, the amout of environmental damage the fuel consumption causes, concerns me.

However, sometimes, I feel like I am a hypocrite, because I drive a motorcycle, which again, causes pollution. But, in my defense, I always try to use my bicycle if I can, and use my motorbike only when necessary, because public transportation system isn’t great in my city. Also, the amount of pollutants my bike releases is way less when compared to a car, or even a small hatchback.

The bike in question is only 160cc, and does 30-40 km/litre (~18-25 miles/litre).

So, what is your opinion on all this, and how can I improve my situation?

• rudyharrelson@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Glad you made it out relatively unscathed. My old man got killed when a negligent driver crashed into him while he was riding his bike at night. Motorcycles are death traps and I’m always uncomfortable when I’m on the road and one gets near my car.

I like that they’re more fuel efficient than cars, and they’re a thrill for the rider, but the inevitable incompetence of other drivers, or just plain bad luck like blowing a tire, has such a high mortality rate for bikers.

One of my dad’s old biker buddies got hit by a teenage driver who’d just gotten their license. I’m not gonna harp on the kid too badly cause when you’re a new driver, you’re gonna make mistakes. Just sucks that one little mistake can cost someone so dearly. Dad’s friend survived, but he’s never been the same due to brain damage sustained in the crash. He wasn’t wearing a DoT approved helmet at the time, though, so it’s partially on him. His fake helmet snapped in half like a twig.

Biker culture (at least in the US) also has the unfortunate undercurrent of macho shit like “I don’t wanna wear a helmet cause that’s for sissies. I’ll just die like a man.” Helmets are mandatory in my state, but it’s seldom enforced.

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Biker culture (at least in the US) also has the unfortunate undercurrent of macho shit like “I don’t wanna wear a helmet cause that’s for sissies. I’ll just die like a man.”

This is parts extra odd to me because the heavy leather jackets and clothing that are also part of that same culture are actually meant to be a form of light armor should you find yourself in a crash