• §ɦṛɛɗɗịɛ ßịⱺ𝔩ⱺɠịᵴŧ@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I’ve never once met an unhoused human who stated they prefer life on the street. I have met some unhouse folks who made the choice, but this always aligned with living the van life, backpacking, or some drawn out international trips. Regardless, homelessness increased 12% last year. This is a massive increase and I’d bet the vast majority didn’t want this to take place as their hand was forced due to cost of living increases. In addition, nearly half of the homeless population is employed in the states, which is bonkers.

While I hear what you’re saying, it’s equivalent to claiming wewe shouldn’t cure cancer cause some people choose cancer by smoking. In other words, while there are select few unhoused individuals who choose the path, a vast majority wish they had a home and feel abandoned by society. Especially as it becomes increasingly more “illegal” to be unable to afford rent on top of groceries, medical care, and transportation cost. The recent cost increases also make paying a fine instead of going to jail more unobtainable. It’s a vicious cycle being homeless, as no address prevents one from opening a bank account and also makes finding a better job very difficult.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Oh sure, those that don’t want permanent shelter are certainly in the minority. I’m just saying the goal shouldn’t be to put everyone in a shelter (i.e. outlaw lack of shelter), but to have enough shelter options that everyone has access should they choose to.

I’m certainly no expert here, I’ve only volunteered with a handful of outreach groups and done some research.

It’s a vicious cycle being homeless, as no address prevents one from opening a bank account and also makes finding a better job very difficult.

I totally agree. Another issue is having your address be a halfway house or shelter, employers know those addresses and ignore those applications.

Ideally we’d build a ton of tiny houses for those who want shelter, and have the addresses be PO boxes to reduce discrimination. Things like drug rehab should be offered, but never required, and imo there should be a nominal payment expected so tenants feel like they are contributing (perhaps free for 6 months, then something like $20-50/month, with lots of forgiveness). The structures should be big enough to be comfortable, but not so nice as to discourage moving out once they have the means.

But these housing arrangements need to be voluntary. If we force people to live there, it’s not going to work. I know you’re not suggesting that, but I’ve heard enough people push for something like that. Being unsheltered needs to be an option, but it should never be the only option.