Here are some specific questions.

• Are the upvotes and downvotes I make, private? If I report a comment, is my report private?

• Can someone follow me across lemmy instances based on my username?

• If I want to make a community, is there a reason I would choose one lemmy over another?

• Are the powers of moderators similar to reddit’s?

• Where can I find a list of most active lemmy instances?

• Any other differences from reddit I should know about?

• BothsidesistFraud@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Some instances defederate from others, and you want to make your community somewhere where you agree with the moderation policy.

Is there a way to easily see which instances are defederated from others (or conversely which instances are connected)?

What does defederation imply? Feeds aren’t aggregated, or users are not allowed from the other instance?

Also one other major question. I thought lemmy was its own thing, but I guess it’s part of the Fediverse? The Fediverse is just a set of protocols? What is lemmy then?

• anton@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

What does defederation imply? Feeds aren’t aggregated, or users are not allowed from the other instance?

Iirc no activity from one instance is available on the other. No posts in their communities, no posts/comments from their users.

Also one other major question. I thought lemmy was its own thing, but I guess it’s part of the Fediverse? The Fediverse is just a set of protocols? What is lemmy then?

The fediverse is a group of social media platforms that use the active pub protocol to pass along user interactions between instances (servers run by different people).

Lemmy is the reddit of the fediverse, meaning posts in communities and comment in a trees structure.

Kbin is also the reddit of the fediverse, but with some less features (manly on the moderation side). Because they both use active pub in a reddit style they can easily interoperate.

Mastodon is the twitter of the fediverse meaning their content (mircoblogging) doesn’t fit the lemmy format but you will only sometimes see some posts like ‘If you can read this I have managed to post from mastodon to lemmy’.

• gt24@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Is there a way to easily see which instances are defederated from others (or conversely which instances are connected)?

To add to what others are saying, there is a list that may be helpful. Let me explain it a bit though.

The list below shows various Lemmy instances in a table. An instance can block another instances (this is what they control). The instance can be blocked by someone else (which they can’t control). Either way, a block is in place so the two cannot communicate.

The column header BL specifies how many instances they are blocking. The column header BB says how many instances are blocking them.

If they have a high BL, they likely do not want to federate with many other instances which can be a drawback. If they have a high BB, that instance is likely acting in such a poor manner that nobody wants to interact with them. Basically, you may want to reconsider instances which have an excessively high BL or BB.

Note that there are pretty bad places out there so having a BL of 0 can be an issue as well. A BB of 0 may indicate that an instance is very new so nobody really knows about them yet.

The list is sorted by how many users are at an instance. If the instance has a high amount of users, the service is likely a higher quality service that can grow over time. Small services aren’t bad per say but they may eventually disappear or overload if too many people join them.

Like most things, this is just more information to help guide you in your decision making. The best decision is one that you make on your own after you do your own research.

Anyway, the list is below.

https://github.com/maltfield/awesome-lemmy-instances/blob/main/README.md#all-lemmy-instances