I’m trying to assess if this is worth it before talking to contractors. I’ve done a lot of DIY remodels and hired out some but never anything of this magnitude. I want to build an addition on top of the garage and connect to the rest of the 2nd floor. Here’s some assumptions I have.

-The slab foundation appears to have same construction as the rest of the house. Let’s assume the footings are good for a second floor

-The joists and walls in the garage do not appear to be structured for a second floor. Will need to reinforce garage walls and add joists.

-This project would coincide with an already planned new roof and HVAC upgrade. So HVAC could be sized for the new square footage

Houses are going for about $275 square foot in our area. This will add about 250 square feet to the house. So if this could be done for $60k or less I won’t lose equity.

1. Any success or horror stories with this sort of thing?
  2. Any one tackle something like this as your own GC?
  • haulyard@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I agree with this. Spend a couple bucks to get quotes from engineers and contractors. The “worth it” part will be answered by their quotes, which you set along side comps for houses that are similar to yours with the added space, and what that space allows you to do that you couldn’t do otherwise.