I’m trying to assess if this is worth it before talking to contractors. I’ve done a lot of DIY remodels and hired out some but never anything of this magnitude. I want to build an addition on top of the garage and connect to the rest of the 2nd floor. Here’s some assumptions I have.

-The slab foundation appears to have same construction as the rest of the house. Let’s assume the footings are good for a second floor

-The joists and walls in the garage do not appear to be structured for a second floor. Will need to reinforce garage walls and add joists.

-This project would coincide with an already planned new roof and HVAC upgrade. So HVAC could be sized for the new square footage

Houses are going for about $275 square foot in our area. This will add about 250 square feet to the house. So if this could be done for $60k or less I won’t lose equity.

1. Any success or horror stories with this sort of thing?
  2. Any one tackle something like this as your own GC?
  • Hazdaz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Unless you are doing the majority of the work yourself, I don’t see how it will be feasible for $60k. But it would be an interesting way to add ~200 extra square feet. Yiu might need to get a few quotes first to get a ballpark number first.