Hi Guys,

Need your help. I have a router to which all th devices are connected. Mostly wireless but the TV is connected via LAN cable. I have installed few apps on the TV from not trusted sources and I dont want the TV on the same network. How do I isolate the TV from the network so that it can still access the internet but cannot see anything on the network. Hope it makes sense.

• wwwwhatever@lemmy.omat.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Check if the router has the possibility to isolate the lan port. That way the port on the router can not talk to other devices in different ports or wlan.

Second possibility is to check if the router supports VLAN. If so you can put the TV or a port on a separate VLAN.

If all that is not possible, consider removing the cable and connect the tv wireless. That way you can put the tv on the guest WiFi network. That should come with isolation by default.

If you don’t want that either, you can resort to extra hardware. Any device with two lan ports could do. Make one port a dhcp based wan port connected to the current network and the other port goes to the tv. Run a dhcp server and nat and you have the tv isolated.