I don’t mean an application of technology. Or a specific fact. I’m interested in more big picture things.

• rezz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I would contend that what you’re describing cannot be knowledge. Knowledge is a certainty by definition. It is “known.” Probability trees are a web of the unknown. “Knowing” the tree =/= knowing reality. Probability is not real, just as numbers are not real. They are concepts. They do not fall into the realm of known reality/experience/matter. You describing knowing that 2 + 2 = 4 conceptually. You are not describing the knowledge of the four trees in your lawn, of which there is only one instance.

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

But we’re talking about the omniscience of an all powerful entity that can create and destroy universes on a whim. Of course it’s beyond our abilities, just as dogs aren’t building steam engines, we aren’t looking at multiple timelines when we make decisions. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• rezz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

I guess I am not communicating well enough but you’ve summarized the real question of this definition well: is the being within, or without our universe?

If above, then there is no contradiction. If they’re within our universe proper, on “our level” then there is a contradiction that can’t exist.

The power to create and destroy universes cannot come from within this universe. Hence this debate is rendered moot, if that is the premise that they are not within our universe/physics.

And there is only a true point in this type of discussion if you’re talking about what is applicable within our known universe.

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Yeah, I understood you, I just didn’t agree that omniscience and omnipotence could not possibly coexist.