Any recommendations, warnings or nice strategies to share?

• howler@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I am not big into boardgaming… but all of my friends are super into it. It makes playing against them much less fun for me. Guys who play dozens or hundreds of games a year begin to recognize the different “engines” that boardgames run on… so they dont have to wrap their mind around the mechanics, just have to adapt to the scoring mechanism. I have to do both, and am at a disadvantage… so I tend to look at more co-op style games… but those arent to everyones liking.

BUT… This past week (actually the past two weeks) me and a couple of friends played quite a bit of The Crew. Since my oldest friends and I grew up playing Spades and Hearts, the concept of The Crew really clicked with us, and we have enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a fun game, that feels rewarding when youe play meshes, and you eke out a victory from what was looking like a loss… And it also makes you feel like an asshole for miscounting or missing something in a hand, and throwing the wrong card at the wrong time. I think we played very well up unitl the 29th or 30th hand, where we got a mission that was by far the most difficult. I think in all of the prior missions, we may have had to replay two of them, and only once… This mission (no player could win two more hands than any other player) was nearly a showstopper. I think we had to play it 9 times to get by it.

But since I finally played a game in the past week, I was happy to be able to post it in one of the weekly threads! lol

• dpunked@feddit.deOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

and what a worthy post it is! I completely understand you and can see how that is very hard to play against. Good coop games are rare but the crew is just amazing! I love the game a lot. Its simple but yet very deep at the same time.

For those of us that have played a lot of different games at some point winning is not so important anymore. Its the fun during the game that counts. I hope your friends are at this point and have the patience to play with people that are not that “hardcore” boardgamer. In the end, it should all be fun for everyone.