Over the last few days i’ve been busy with an IDE and made a fork of an existing Open Source chess game Dreamchess. Their developers have done a great job, but i knew it was missing something. You can now promote to a Knook*

Earlier today I did a clean install of AnarchyChess-DreamyDesktop on a Raspberry pi and that means i now consider the project at version 0.8** ready for some alpha testing. Im hoping to get some input from some top chess minds, who can think more strategically than me at 400ishELO.

I know Garry Chess is hard at work with Chess 2.0, but i wanted to see about sharing some Knook gameplay around, so I’m going to see about hosting some games here on Lemmy with top comment decides format.

Normally i’d do some testing quietly, but it seems to be holding up to everything i’m throwing at it, and we’ve been waiting so long for a new update to drop. If for some reason it bluescreens, you have my sincerest apologies and promise to implement the bugfix. I might even give myself a bricking.

The plan would be to have something like a 3 minute increment game with a 2 hour game window where i take the top comment, make the move in the board, and make a new post here with the updated positioning. With lag, the top move will be taken something like 2min30s after the post is made. The increments open for discussion, but i think 30 seconds for me to do the move, take a screenshot and make a new post is about right.

If one game finishes, i can see about starting another, possibly with reduced time.

People would be requested to choose and stick to a side, but i cant see it being enforced. If you’re a titled player and have a friend as a titled player, please consider choosing to play on opposing sides rather than everyone possibly playing both sides.

To try and be available to as many people worldwide, I plan to host a game at 9pm UTC one day and then another 12 hours later. If everything stays good, ive got 9pm UTC 35.5 hours from now pencilled in.

• Other moves like Il Vaticano and Bishops going on vacation have been considered, but i chose to make a complete something rather than try to make a partial something and not finish.

**Version 0.9 is after its received widespread playtesting and a 1.0 release will happen when some bugfixes (not gameplay releated) and better artwork is done.

Code is currently available with GPLv3 license at https://github.com/PossibleEmuWrangler/AnarchyChess-DreamyDesktopPrototype but the repository for future release will change. Downloading and compiling is not needed to participate here, i’ll be posting screenshots of board updates and moves will be done in the comments.

Algebraic notation for Knook will be O. Please let me know if you have any questions.

P.s. If somehow a titled player active in the media chooses to play with their own OTB set following gameplay, i’d love to see a photo of them with carefully, cautiously planning their next move linked after.

p.p.s K tattoo for the Knook is going to be bigger.