• tiredofsametab@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

lead the way on […] social issues

Sure, as long as you’re straight, male, and Japanese. To a lesser extent if you are straight, female, and Japanese (but don’t dare expect the same salary, high-level positions, or being treated like anything other than someone who will quit to be a stay-at-home-mom at the vast majority of companies). Everything else is going to have a very different experience in terms of equality in society.

Edit: also bullying issues, including still some people whom even have ancestors of a certain group/caste (burakkumin, for one), homeless issues, mental health care not being covered by insurance, and still more.

• HubertManne@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

yeah and we are seeing this in other countries. this is what I mean by lead the way. Not doing a bang up job but more speed running compared to the rest of the world.

• HubertManne@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

no I mean what you see with them today you see in other first world countries tommorrow. And just to be clear today and tommorrow do not literally mean today/tommorrow but more that what you see with them in an earlier time period tends to become the normal for other countries later and just financially and socially I mostly meant having kids and expectations around working and having a family. The sorta social norm.