• toastal@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Then you need to meet more communities 😅

Also for the sake of chat, what’s something truly innovative since the heyday of AIM & IRC? There just isn’t many useful bells & whistles to be added in the last decade. The newer XEPs for stickers+message reactions have been out with some new clients picking them up, but these aren’t something fundamentally changing how folks speak.

• toastal@lemmy.mlOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I was referring to the experience (encryption is usually felt as something transparent after it’s set up). However both Matrix & XMPP have e2ee even if the implementation isn’t identical (OMEMO allows per device).

What is “asymmetric communication”? Only one side can talk?

• itchy_lizard@feddit.it
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Asymmetric communication allows communication when one party is offline. One of the biggest issues with XMPP is both parties need to be online…

• itchy_lizard@feddit.it
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Which server do you use that caches messages for you, and how do I know if a given XMPP provider has implemented this functionality?

Also, does it also work with e2ee messages?

• toastal@lemmy.mlOP
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

I know Prosody does & I’d put money on ejabberd supporting it too but I’ve not looked it up. You can check compliance for Conversations using https://compliance.conversations.im/ which includes message archive management + carbons or use a client that exposes a servers supported XEPs. Yes, it works with encrypted messages.