link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Pretty much. AR has amazing potential and Apple waited to enter the space until they could provide something that can actually do AR without the massive compromises other headsets people pretend can do AR have to make.

I haven’t bought one yet because it’s a lot of money. But I did get to do the in store demo and it crosses a bunch of minimum thresholds nothing else does. They’ve been building to this for a long time.

The other benefit is that, as much as they control distribution, Apple’s set of libraries/etc for software development make it extremely possible to make actual money developing reasonably high quality apps for iPhone/iPad as a solo developer. ARKit on iPhone already has led to solo developers being able to do real AR phone apps (with limited scope because you’re looking through a phone obviously). It’s definitely the first and most accessible way to build AR functionality compared to the limited access enterprise headsets (with their own limitations) with whatever tooling they had. When they announce the next, more affordable version, they’ll have a huge head start on an ecosystem because this is out there.

• Lydia_K@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Thank you very much for your thoughtful and detailed replies, it is much appreciated. This headset finally makes some kind of sense for what it is.

• conciselyverbose@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

No problem. This is tech I’ve been waiting for for a long time. I understand why it’s hard to imagine the benefits without seeing some applications actually built out, and would not encourage anyone to buy it at this point unless they do have that clear vision for what they want from it. For the tech in it, though, when you compare it to the alternative VR only headsets, the price is pretty aggressive.

If you’re interested and near an Apple Store with demos, I highly encourage you to try it out. It doesn’t really showcase any AR, but the level of clarity and depth you get on 3D photos and videos is really impressive, and worth checking out for the sake of it. At least at my store, I was super open about “I definitely can’t buy this in the immediate future” and they were still perfectly happy/friendly about doing the demo.