• dan@upvote.au
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Interestingly, the performance aspect is one of the reasons some phone manufactures quote for removing the SD card slot. The gap between the performance of onboard storage and SD cards keeps growing, so people that add an SD card to their Android phone and store all their apps on it have a bad experience because the software isn’t really designed with such slow storage in mind any more.

Maybe SD Express will help? There’s still some issues with it and it’s still expensive, but in theory it should be able to support 800+ MB/s read speeds. Not as fast as an NVMe drive of course, but faster than a SATA SSD.

Maybe the little storage cards from the Xbox Series X need to become a thing that’s more widely used. I’d guess they’re just M.2 2230 NVMe drives inside. Would be an interesting distribution mechanism for games (like a modern cartridge format) but they’re just too expensive for that at the moment.

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Like, sure, if I could buy a storage drive that just comes with a console game I want already on it, that could be cool.

But really, I’d rather have a plain drive than a drive that can only store that one game.