Food Not Bombs, a volunteer group that feeds the homeless, was issued tickets by Houston police for distributing meals outside the Central Library in violation of a city ordinance. At the first trial for one of the volunteers, Phillip Picone, the jury found him not guilty. The city claims the ordinance is meant to connect homeless people with social services, while Food Not Bombs argues it violates their freedoms and rights. During the trial, the police officer testified that he issued the ticket but that he also likes feeding the homeless. In his closing argument, Picone’s lawyer argued there was reasonable doubt since the group had been feeding people there for years with the city’s permission. The jury unanimously found Picone not guilty, which his lawyer saw as confirmation of his faith in doing good for the poor.

• TheRtRevKaiser@beehaw.orgM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but Houston’s approach to homelessness is considered by some to be one of the most successful in the nation, and one of the components as I understand is to coordinate care for the homeless through a central agency, which then refers individuals to other programs and agencies. The idea is that it reduces duplication of effort. I’m not sure if this ordinance is related, though.

• ZapBeebz@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I mean, in that case, it seems to me that the right move is to add Food Not Bombs to the network and allow the city to refer people to them. This is a group of people who clearly care about their community, and they should be given every tool to help them succeed.

• TheRtRevKaiser@beehaw.orgM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Yeah absolutely. Please don’t take from my earlier comment that I agree that this group should have been ticketed.