Could you please clarify for me? If I activate an ability that has a cost and then copy it, do I need to pay the cost again for the copy to resolve?

For example, the ability of [[Isareth, the Awakener]]. If I decide to attack and pay X mana to reanimate a creature, do I also have to pay again if I copy the ability? And if so, am I able to pay a different amount, considering that the source of the copying states, “You can choose new targets for the copy”?

A second question is for a card like [[Drana, Liberator of Malakir]]. If she deals direct damage and her ability triggers, would the +1/+1 counter be placed on each attacking creature, including herself, twice, were I to copy it?

I’m not sure if it’s necessary to mention, but I am new to this, I am using [[The Peregrine Dynamo]] to copy those abilities.

Thank you for your help in clarifying this!

• bec@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

This definitely helps clarify things, thank you!

If I’m understanding correctly, then, when copying a “boast” ability, it allows me to receive the effect of the boast twice while only having to pay the cost once (“pay x, do y”). Correct?

• TheLameSauce@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

That’s correct.

Boast is interesting because it’s an activated ability (cost:effect) that can only be activated when a condition is met, like a triggered ability.

As long as the first activation happened while the condition was met (the creature attacked this turn) the effect from the ability can be copied before it finishes resolving.

• bec@lemmy.mlOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Thank you, I appreciate the help! Happy Gathering