• Sterile_Technique@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Biden’s gotten a lot of criticism over how we’re handling Isreal/Palestine, but don’t conflate criticism with unwillingness to vote.

I do NOT like that we’re fueling a fucking genocide; but I’m also aware our options are Biden or Trump. Not voting or choosing 3rd party is still choosing Biden or Trump, but you give up any weight your vote carries to let the other voters decide between Biden or Trump.

And Trump running the show will only crank the genocide up to 11, and not just on Gaza - Ukraine is also on the ballot with that decision, as is Taiwan if we’re taking the writing on the wall at face value. And that’s ignoring the myriad of non-genocide reasons that stack up to making a 2nd Trump presidency our top priority to fight against.

So, I’ll be voting Biden. I’ll bitch about him, but we’re still on the same team.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

And he’ll continue doing exactly what he is doing now if he gets elected. But I guess genocide isn’t “the single issue” for people in the US, 3rd party won’t win, said 150 million people in the biggest joke of a democracy in the world.

• Sterile_Technique@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

And he’ll continue doing exactly what he is doing now if he gets elected.

Which is the best case scenario when the options are that or Trump. And those are the only two options.

I feel your frustration, but choosing ‘worse’ because you’re unhappy with ‘bad’ isn’t the right move.

If you want actual good options, support shit like ranked choice and other changes to the poltical system itself; but for here and now, if you enjoy having rights and want to reduce as much as possible the number of our international neighbors being killed, then Biden is your guy… even if he’s a piece of shit sometimes.

• QuaternionsRock@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

the biggest joke of a democracy in the world

You’re saying that like people reluctantly voting for Biden don’t already know it

• dangblingus@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

There are, sadly, bigger fish to fry. Most people, while finding the genocide in Gaza repugnant, aren’t actually affected by it.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Ah yes. Murdering civillians in the thousands and having the way to stop it, but choosing not to, is a “small fish to fry”. Their lives are worthless after all, huh?

• DrRatso@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Hol up though, how is not voting for Biden resolving the Israel-Palestine conflict? Are you saying Trump would somehow not be worse in this regard? Or are you saying theres actually a snowflakes chance in hell for a 3rd party to take the lead?

• ZombiFrancis@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Largely because this conflict with Biden is unnecessary. Asking Biden to be less condoning of genocide isn’t a huge ask for an election year. But the resistance to this is causing collateral damage–as expected.

First: Even his supporters and voters start to feel shame. This hurts the Democratic Party electorally.

Second: Every person running for office as a Democrat now has to contend with a divisive issue. Every challenger has a free talking point and wedge issue.

Remove Trump from the equation–just for the perspective, imagine he is in jail, disqualified, or dead or whatever. So say Trump croaks right now: it is very clear Biden’s policy towards Israel is objectively damaging as an electoral strategy for him and his party.

So why should I vote for my Democratic representative who is staunchly backing Biden and Israel? I got a Senate race too this year. These are unnecessary questions and concerns to have in the air when majorities are so slim and fragile. Those races primaries are in August, and I don’t know what will be left of this issue, or Gaza, by then.

• systemglitch@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Right choice? I dont think you have a “right” choice. Your country is fucked and headed towards an eventual civil war. The only question at this point is how long it takes to get started.

A two party system… lol. America doomed itself.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

It will be accelerated if Trump wins. We need to get away from this idea that “if only some valiant and noble person who isn’t connected to the military industrial complex and the oil industry ran for president!”. It’s not gonna happen.

• hark@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

We get it, you’re so rational for loving a pro-genocide candidate.

• surewhynotlem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

“I can’t have zero genocide so I’ll vote for more genocide” is an equally stupid take.

• hark@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

I didn’t say I was voting for trump. Speaking of stupid…

• hark@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            4 months ago

I didn’t say I wasn’t voting for biden. We’re all familiar with the system. There is a least bad choice, but there are no sane choices in an insane system and I take issue with the framing that only the enlightened liberal is sane for picking a pro-genocide candidate who also serves billionaires first and foremost, and who benefits from and wishes to continue this insane first past the post voting system.

• hark@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                4 months ago

No, I’m voting biden because he’s the least bad choice. He’s still a shitty choice and one I would only make in an insane system.

• surewhynotlem@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  4 months ago

So you think that you’re doing something irrational?

To be honest, I’ve never met an irrational person who knew they were irrational. This is a new one for me. Usually people making irrational decisions don’t realize the flaws in their logic, and think they’re being rational.

So if you know you’re being irrational, where is the flaw in your logic? And why don’t you fix it?

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 months ago

Sounds like, by your own logic, you love the pro-genocide candidate because you understand how FPTP works. Your original comment is doubly irrelevant now.

• hark@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Genocide is old news, huh? Genocide is still genocide and biden full-throatedly supports it.

• Bernie_Sandals@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

No he fucking doesn’t, there’s been about as much coming out of the whitehouse about humanitarian support and ceasefires recently as there has been talk of supporting Israel.

Shit, he supports a two state solution, that’s pretty weird for someone who supposedly wants to genocide all Palestinians.

• hark@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

There’s been a lot of talk coming out of the whitehouse, but talk is cheap. He has said he supports a two state solution while he hands over billions to israel in support of their ethnostate “solution”. Really strange that you think biden providing billions in weapons to israel to carry out this genocide is somehow balanced by a dinky pier that will provide insufficient aid at best (and starting weeks from now) until it is inevitably “accidentally” bombed by israel.