• Neshura@bookwormstory.socialM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Myne delivering a lesson in Ethics and Friendship to Anastasius is just golden. Smacked him in the face with the royal hypocrisy.

I can’t help but wanting to just read next weeks Part already. Less to see the conflict with Gervasio (obviously team Gremlin will win) but rather because I want the Story to be done with the fighting and delve into the political fallout of this entire invasion.

• poltroon@bookwormstory.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I loved Rozemyne’s little speech there. Also Ferdinand’s shrewd move to contact Anastasius separately and directly.

Pretty shocking that Trauerqual totally folded unless he was thinking that would mean the family would be spared. At least have the wit to flee.

• No_Nick_Needed@bookwormstory.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I wonder why Rozemyne didn’t think of going up to the statue of Mestionora in the library and pray to it. Last time she was in the garden of beginnings, that was how she got in after all. The worst that could happen would be, that gramps rejects them, which would have taken less time and mana than flying up to go by Ferdinand’s way, and as a bonus, Erwärmen would not be pissed at their improper way of entering.

Sure that would mean it’s only her and Ferdinand, but the same holds true for Gervasio, he too would be alone. And in a 1 on 1, between a guy who just got his schtappe a couple of days ago and Ferdinand, supported by Rozemyne for blessings and healings, I know who my money would be on.

There is a bit of a dissonance with Gervasio for me. If he really was the one to order all the bad things the Lanzenavians and Raublut did, or permit them from happening without interfering, how could he possibly pass Gramps’ test of character? I imagine that even knowing about the atrocities, but still letting them happen without protest should be enough to bust that test. But if it was not him, who else has the authority to enact the atrocities without Gervasio even knowing about them, until maybe after the fact?

It feels like there’s some crucial piece of information still missing, for everything to add up.

Or the gods really have their own set of morals, different from either ours or even that of the Yurgenschmidt people. Though I can see how decades, if not centuries, of neglect by the mortals, might have got them to write the Yurgenschmidt nobility off as a lost cause.

• ludrol@bookwormstory.socialM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Gervosio had shatppe for a long time. The whole purpose of adalgisa is to produce one “good” guy and send him to the lanzanave throne so he can maintain ivory buildings.

I expect him to know some whacky spells that aren’t thought in academy, only they ware developed and passed in lanzanave

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Oh right… he was specifically raised in Yurgenschmidt for that. Slipped my mind for a moment.

WIth how Trauerquals father and his chosen successor both died, before they could pass the knowledge passed down verbally on, and how the only other way to learn this knowledge being to look it up in the Grutrissheit, which Trauerqual does not have, it doesn’t even have to be spells developed in Lanzenave, but just spells that were only known to the royal family, that he now has access to, but Trauerqual and his sons do not.

From what Leonzio told Detlinde, at some earlier point, it’s clear that Lanzenave kept at least some pieces of knowledge alive, even outside the direct line of king and successor, that are either lost in Yurgenschmidt, or kept secret among the royals these days.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

I wonder if the royal family even realized that Lanzenave may have had some of that information. Maybe not possible to ask them without unacceptable risk, but it seems like they know very little about pretty much anything.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

It would be rather awkward to ask. “Hey, I know the last contact my family and your country had, was to slaughter all of your princesses, their children - including your future king - and all their personell, potentially dooming your captial to fall apart in a generation or two, and I just refused to take on a new princess just last year, but could you tell us a bit more about my own country’s past anyway, pretty please?”

• Neshura@bookwormstory.socialM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I think it’s very likely the gods are in complete crisis mode currently and have crossed off a bunch of the usual requirements for Zenthood.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Didn’t seem like that a mere year before, when Rozemyne met Gramps. If anything, I would have expected the resurgance of religious ceremonies and the increase in genuine prayers that happened in the wake of Rozemyne’s research projects and demonstrations, to give them back hope, if they had lost it before.

That being said, I’m not yet ready to condemn Gervasio. While unlikely, it is theoretically possible that he is unaware of his people running wild in Ahrensbach and that was all done by some upstart without his knowledge and permission. We did see him show mercy for Solange after all, when Raublut seemed ready to finish her off instead. If that were the case, it would make sense for him to pass Gramps’ test. That magic tools only looks into the person’s personality, not what their subordinates are doing. It’s a shame we didn’t get more insight into his motives and principles, even in his own POV chapter.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

When Rozemyne and Ferdinand are in sync as they were in this part, I really enjoy the way their characters shape and bounce off each other.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Something I hope the books, or at least a fanbook will go into is the Lanzenave Grutrissheit.

We have learned that the sort of framework for a true Grutrissheit can only come from Mestionora’s statue in the Royal Academy Library, so we can rule out that Tollkühnheit let his successor write a copy of his own bible and that this happened through the generations. So does that mean they lost their Grutrissheit with the second king already, or did Tollkühnheit also make a magic tool version, like Aub Alsenti did for her son?

If it’s the latter, why does Gervasio even feel the need to get a true Grutrissheit. With how Trauerqual ticks, he could have just rocked up with his magic tool Grutrissheit and Trauerqual would have practically thrown his crown to Gervasio. Did Tollkühnheit implement an anti-theft feature, that prevents the Lanzenave bible from being taken outside of the capital?

Or did Chiaffredo refuse to give Gervasio their Grutrissheit?

Or does the book only transfer upon the death of it’s holder, and with Chiaffredo still alive, Gervasio can’t yet get the Lanzenave bible?

Also what is Gervasio’s plan for the future of the two countries anyway? Does he wish to rule both, or did he return Lanzenave’s crown to Chiaffredo and plans to have the countries seperate, but allied? Or is he so desperate to become Yurgenschmidt’s ruler, because he was driven out of his own home, together with a comparetively small group of loyalists?