• Clent@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

It’s not meant to be anti-vegan, it’s the logical conclusion of the statement. Rather than playing with the words just say what you mean.

Ruminating on it, lead me to think about the biodiversity in animal husbandry and how that would disappear if we all went vegan. Those are side affected I’ve never seen discussed. The downvotes tell me most people prefer comforting lies and would rather avoid second order thinking.

• lugal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Maybe it’s not discussed because the handful of domesticated animals isn’t a big deal of biodiversity in the first place. It’s not that people aren’t aware of it, they are more concerned with the real loss of biodiversity in nature.

• Clent@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

That’s an unsupported assertion.

Replacing animals with plants is definitely a reduction is diversity. We clone plants. Farmers are not going to replace their dairy farm with a butterfly garden.

Anyway, this will be my last post on this thread.

These downvotes are a clear indication that it’s not something this audience wants to discuss.

I find this to be a common theme with vegans, they are only interested in discussing the benefits and refuse to consider any downsides. But that’s an entirely different topic.