• solarvector@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I think what she’s trying to say is that we need a UBI that covers living expenses, and providing the essential service of making Oreo blizzards is on top of that.

• Wes_Dev@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I’d honestly be okay with that.

If every person over about 16 was guaranteed the option of a bare minimum personal living space, a usable Internet connection, plumbing, clean water, and basic nutrition; then I don’t care if there are jobs that pay $3 and hour.

If we eliminate forced homelessness, give victims of abuse a safe escape, allow people with both recognized and unrecognized disabilities a guaranteed foundation to live on, and generally just take care of the people we extract taxes from to fund our society; then a lot of my concerns about labor and wages evaporate.

Of course, what we don’t want to to “accidentally” create a de-facto neo-slavery caste who are stuck with the bare minimum and unable to get better work.

Hell, if someone wants to lay around all day and do nothing but watch TV, I’m okay with that.

If they want to spend that free time pursuing education for a better life, that’s great too!

I don’t care, as long as we can get rid of the shitty system we have now in the US. Too many people fall through the cracks and never make it back.