• Missmuffet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I was working at an amazon, and they made these shitty “games” for you to “play”, and you played them by working faster :////

Basically, in one, you’d get a pet and it would grow based on how fast you worked. The games also pit you agaist your coworkers so youd feel pressured to - you guessed it - work faster.

I was doing good one night and told my manager and he went “Nice! Now go even faster!”. By far the worst job ive ever had.

• GluWu@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

So literally the fifteen million merits episode from black mirror

• morrowind@lemmy.mlOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

I watched that episode but it was pretty dumb, because it was just an unexplained dystopia. You can’t make much of a point if hinges entirely on a dystopia with no reason to exist with unexplained systems of power to create oppression.

• RBG
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Sounds like Andor in the factory for death star parts

• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Worker, place your hands on the pads and think happy thoughts. You have 10 seconds to comply. Failure to comply will result in complementary reconditioning. Happy birthday!

• MeDuViNoX@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This is a dangerous mindset, closed eyes aren’t focused on the task at hand and happy thoughts aren’t company thoughts!

• Missmuffet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

These messages play on each worker’s screen about once an hour. They’re supposed to be wellness checks. Source, former employee.

• The Doctor@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Great. Somebody thought Paranoia was another RPG to mine for terrible ideas to implement.