• smoothbrain coldtakes@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

The only reason I still want consoles to be developed is that a lot of cool features were designed and pioneered with consoles. Stuff like DirectStorage was implemented on the XSX before it was on PC, but that’s an example of consoles having pushed the boundaries and built new systems that benefit the whole computing ecosystem.

I don’t find this to be the case anymore. They keep claiming “technological leaps” but they only quantify the leaps in terms of being able to run at a higher resolution with higher frames, and we’ve gotten to the point with processing that we can brute force all of that stuff. There used to be a lot of limitations to run on a console, and it caused a lot of creative workarounds and solutions within the industry. It feels like those limitations have been removed everywhere but the Switch, and I would argue that’s the console with the most interesting exclusives.

Consoles used to help push the limit of what could be done on lower-end hardware. Now there’s basically no limits, especially with size. American games are like 100+ gigs now, it’s insane. Say what you want about their business practices and how anti-consumer they are, but I at least value Nintendo’s efficiency in game design and development having been limited by hardware. They make fun games that are functionally massive but do not require tons of storage in comparison to other AAA titles.

• BCsven@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Your point stands in all software development these days. The days of streamlined code and optimization seem dead. All our engineering software keeps getting massively larger and slower every release, and the suppliers mantra is buy more cpu power. Meanwhile thanks to Linux geeks I have a full Samba Share NAS setup for sending music and video to my TV with web gui, and it runs on a 13 year old Iomega fanless ARM board with 256MB of RAM.

• ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Small correction

Direct Storage was on PC (Linux)prior to XSX. 2005 for RAM and 2016 for VRAM. However Nvidia didn’t implement it until recently

• Dark Arc@social.packetloss.gg
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Most of that storage is just in assets, it’s not really about the limits of the hardware.

Nintendo has just stuck with simplistic textures and models. Don’t get me wrong they use it in a way that’s very artistic and looks better than some high budget photo realistic games out there.

It’s just… It’s not some great innovation on Nintendo’s part, it’s just an art style choice.

When compare Mario to call of duty or battlefield… The polygon difference, the texture quantity and variety, the water rendering, the particle effects, the model variety, cinematic cutscenes, the dozen skins for the same thing that are more than just recolors, the variety of sounds, etc it’s all just so so so much more.

• Jax@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I think the Switch having the best exclusives is a subzero take personally but I agree with everything else.

• smoothbrain coldtakes@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

I didn’t say best, I said most interesting. PlayStation has the best exclusives.

Nintendo games are fun and kooky but Sony games are big and majestic. Think of like Animal Crossing versus Spider-Man. PS exclusives have been landing on PC lately which I am patient to wait for. This will never be the case with Nintendo games.

• Jax@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Now that I would argue against, I definitely think most interesting means best but this is where the conversation would become more subjective than objective.

And yes, Nintendo will die on that hill.