• emptyfish@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I don’t use the platform so I’m not as familiar to if this is general nationalist issue or about specific practices in TikTok. I do think this is a slippery slope, though. Im afraid our elected officials are just too far behind on Technology to look at the broader issues on privacy and technology - this might pass simply because they can slap “not US = bad” on a campaign bus. It likely will boost VPN usage and/or drive people to less mature and even less privacy concerned services.

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

As a conservative I generally hate the idea of Chinese software collecting all our national selfie secrets, but I hate the idea of banning companies even more.

If there’s a problem about national security as it relates to Chinese social media, we need to address that with education not banning apps.

• trevron@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

The domestic apps scrape and sell the same data to anybody who will buy it, foreign adversaries included. They are banning tiktok because the younger generation is way more connected on there and there is attention being brought to places they don’t want it. Simple as that.

• trevron@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I do use the platform and used to think the same thing everyone else my age thinks but it is actually super good. Most content creators moved over for a reason.

There is a lot of “good activism” on there and I think that is the thing they would like to stamp out.

I think it’s a scary thing combined with the fact that politicians have been trying to pass KOSA and similar bills that outline very harsh punishments for anyone using vpns to circumvent national bans.

America isn’t free and it is getting less free by the day.