I’m sure you all heard about it, i tried this open source (i think it’s open source) shooter game called xonotic and it is FUN as hell, it’s probably one of the best foss games i’ve ever played and i wanted to show this game off here

what are ya’lls thoughts of this game

• NathanUp@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I’ve been playing for years; I even used to rank in the top 100 DM players. It’s an outstanding game that doesn’t get near the attention / credit it deserves. The graphics still look good, it’ll run on a potato, fast, satisfying gameplay… it’s the best.

Back when I lived in the UK, I’d play instagib on german servers that were so full and the matches so intense that you couldn’t take a step after spawning before exploding if you hadn’t learned how to move quickly yet. It became an ambition to be able to get off of the spawn point, and I began to use those intense matches to wake me up after work every day.

Eventually, when logging on during the wee hours, I’d get to chatting with one or two other players on an empty server and they’d give me tips, or show me the secret rooms and easter eggs in some of the weirder community-made maps.

I don’t play much lately, but I do run a server to give a little back for all the fun. Anyway, yea, Xonotic is great.

• Dark Arc@social.packetloss.gg
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Yup, I also used to be up there. I’m pretty sure I’d get obliterated now if I went back and tried to play. I still play time to time with my buddy Cow Fu.

It was one of my first shooters and definitely has a first love kind of status for me.

I’ve largely moved on to Hunt Showdown which… While definitely not a continuous high speed slaughter fest, definitely has its own similarly intense moments and genuine weapon variety.

• NathanUp@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I’m pretty sure I’d get obliterated now if I went back and tried to play

You night be surprised! I definitely have to shake the rust off, but I find it’s like riding a bike; the movement just becomes instinct.

• thisisbutaname
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

It’s been a while since I’ve played it but it is fun. I might just have to install it again

• NetherFalcon@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

you should install it! it’s REALLY god damn fun, i might even try to play it tonight as i had it installed on my desktop pc running debian 12 stable lol

• SigHunter@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I just played it for a while, runs well, looks good, is fun! In the past, I also played nexuiz and warsow online, they are similar The latest version of xonotic is in gentoo repositories 🥳

• OmnipotentEntity@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

You may already know this, but Xonotic was forked from Nexiuz after the original code owner sold the GPLed code to some publisher to make a for pay game.

• RichByy@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Has great instagib servers with fast hooks! Absolutely love it. :D

Didn’t think I’d see a post about it without searching for one…

• smeg@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

How can I enjoy game if it doesn’t constantly tell me how to have fun??

• Kissaki@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Great project, great focus on movement and movement skill. Good guidance/tutorial IIRC.

It’s been a long time since I played it. I’m not very fond of arena shooters with weapon-collecting.

• Vodulas [they/them]@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Was enjoying the game going through the campaign to learn how to play until one of the bots dropped an R slur at me for some splash damage. If the bots are doing it, can’t imagine what the actual community is like

• NetherFalcon@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

never played around with the bots, the actual community seems rather chill but then again i have not played all of the servers and just the ones with the most active player count and i haven’t seen any fights in the chat and just casual conversations