• Shrike502@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

People need to lower the bar, especially when starting out.

Or people could recognise they’re being robbed blind by the bourgeoisie and organise

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

This is my biggest beef with the Left. There was an article in the NY Times about how the Right took over the NRA. Back in the 1970s the NRA was a hunting club. Some smart pols came in and turned it into a money making machine.

• Shrike502@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

You wrote:

This is my biggest beef with the Left. There was an article in the NY Times about how the Right took over the NRA. Back in the 1970s the NRA was a hunting club. Some smart pols came in and turned it into a money making machine.

I am trying to understand what that has to do with the topic of the thread. Or what manner of “beef with the left” you have due to the described situation

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

The topic of the thread is the death of the American dream. We lost the class war because the Left wasn’t focused on the actual mechanics of achieving political power. My ‘beef’ is that many Left organizations seem to think that getting a million people to march will solve things, while the Right knows that putting $100,000 in the correct pocket will do much more.

• WhatWouldKarlDo@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

When you were starting out, you were the inexperienced person. You do indeed make more money with experience, but that has NOTHING to do with the chart. It shows averages today and fifty years ago. Your commentary on it implies that the workplace has somehow become inexperienced in that fifty years, which is patently absurd. Workers are simply paid less today, regardless of experience level.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

Of course some things have improved in fifty years. But technology isn’t tied to inflation.

In fact technology should have made things much cheaper. In 1970, prople expected to be able to afford the same life style working fewer hours.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    11 months ago

Like I wrote. In 1970, a good Union job could support a family of four with plenty of luxuries. A high school graduate could be instantly self supporting with a minimum wage job paying for a one bedroom apartment and a car. By you chart the years to pay off the debt went up about 75% from 1923 to 1973 and more than doubled from 1973 to 2013.