Or the fediverse in general.

I wanted to ask everyone their personal least favorite communities on reddit.

Whic subreddits do you absolutely not (personally of course) want to see recreated as magazines here on kbin, or as fediverse communities in general?

My pet peeve is CMV. I always felt while the idea seemed doable on the surface, the implementation within that particular subreddit with the delta system, the requirement for the top level comments to oppose the OP even if the “view” is an established expert consensus on something like climate change made it impossible to have meaningful conversations.

I haven’t checked if we have a CMV magazine here, but as soon as I see one, I know I’m blocking it.

What is your “instant block” community?

• Eigengrau@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago
    • TwoXChromosomes : Just TERF subreddit by name alone
    • (Kotaku|Tumblr)InAction : I hate Kotaku but not for same reason peops in those subreddits hate them
    • Not so much confined to specific subreddits , but whol “(CHINA|RUSSIA) BAD” mindset : You don’t have to believe everything they do’s good , but can’t trust peops to not be (sino|russio)phobic about it
    • 00@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

TwoXChromosomes : Just TERF subreddit by name alone

I only lurked on the sub, but while the name was obviously bad, i remember it being very positive towards transwomen? Are there TERFs once you engage in the discussion or were there some big incidents that were transphobic?

• Eigengrau@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I don’t go on there bcus, again, name makes me think TERF subreddit . A name like TwoXChromosomes doesn’t sound like it’d be welcoming for trans women.

Also is always possible they’re just more crypto about their TERFyness

• 00@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Since we are obviously all avoiding reddit now, we dont really have to think to much about it anymore. But for what its worth, their first sticky post actually addresses the problem quite well, imo.

• pory@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

TwoXChromosomes was kind of a victim of the fact that it was never in the history of Reddit made possible to change a subreddit’s name without just starting over and losing all of the history (incl. top/all time sorting). When the subreddit was designed as a space for women and girls on Reddit thirteen years ago, they picked the name because of 2010 Reddit’s very “science rules!” culture and wanted to evoke not just “women and girls” but “geeky women and girls that use the geek site for nerds, Reddit”. They were trans-inclusionary over a decade ago, despite the name. Their current pinned post says specifically “Trans women are women. TERFs can fuck right off” in giant bold text.

I get being made uncomfortable by the name, but 2XC was trans-friendly before a lot of other more mainstream feminist spaces were.

• QuestioningEspecialy@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

(Kotaku|Tumblr)InAction : I hate Kotaku but not for same reason peops in those subreddits hate them

iirc r/TumblrInAction was one of the documented hate groups I got massbanned for participating in. lul That’s when I knew.

• spirals@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

2XC was welcoming to trans people which I found weird because of the name. Maybe they should have migrated to a different sub that doesn’t reference chromosomes and instead has women in the name. 2XC would then become a sub about science and genes lol