• lemick24@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Unfortunately I do believe this is correct. The rest of the world dabbled with cars but their urban design and infrastructure for centuries was pre-automobile. They merely shifted back towards their diversified transportation origins. The Americas, by contrast, began their massive development just as the rise of the automobile began. It is the core and soul of the entire fundamental urban and societal structure. Without tearing that out, which would almost necessitate starting over from scratch with most cities urban design, they are trapped with single (or low) occupancy transit as their only reliable means of transportation.

• fence_prude@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

This is true for everywhere in America except New York or Chicago. In those towns you can literally live car-free. I don’t know of anywhere else you can do that.

• FeeshyFish@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Oh man, I miss the CTA since I moved away from Chicago. While I lived there, I had a laundry list of annoyances with public transit, but boy does it feel nice to not have to be the one driving during your commute.

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I live in a very small farming community and drive definitely less than 1 time a week. I theoretically wouldn’t need a car at all as I can (and do) bike everywhere

• BasedGeorgeJackson@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Portland OR you can go car free. It’s not as good as Chicago or NY as far as trains go (still better than most), but the city has 300 miles of bike lanes and the busses are solid.