It feels like it’s dying. Just anecdotally it seems like there have been less threads lately, less quality threads, and less discussion overall. More anecdotally I feel like the last couple of federation / defederation slap fights ended with many users leaving as well. I can think of a few who left because we were federating, some who left because we then subsequently defederated from lots of the fediverse, and then even a few who said they would leave if we didn’t defederate and then left anyway when we did.

I feel like mostly overall I have seen very few new posters, and have seen less and less of some certain power posters.

Is this just a illusion or is this really what’s happening. What is to be done?

• AlpineSteakHouse [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Yes and no. Hexbear as a political project is more or less dead. It’s been that way since the first year or so. It’s more or less just a club for commie shitposting now. I used to do organizing/theory on Hexbear, now I just use it for non-political posting.

Hexbear, barring some huge shift, will stay around this size for the next few years and experience a slow decline until shutdown. It is a site just past its peak experiencing a slow fall to obscurity that all things must go through eventually.

• shitholeislander [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

idk why anyone ever thought this was a “political project” and not just a reddit clone that isn’t beholden to the Atlantic Council/is friendly to communists and marginalised people, seems like a v internet-brained outlook. this site originated from a subreddit for a podcast