• yesman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Sekiro is the only From Soft game that doesn’t already have difficulty “modes”. All the other games, you can just grind until your OP, or bring a summon. This is actually superior to the approach to difficulty in many games who lazily just scale damage and health. Sekiro has a better argument for difficulty modes than Dark Souls and Elden Ring.

FromSoft is moving in this direction. Sekiro has a few accessibility options: controller/keyboard remapping and subtitles. Elden Ring adds to this formula with colorblind filters. They could do much better.

I can’t understand why people are so upset about how someone else plays the game. Just seems like a continuation of the “get gud” gatekeeping crap. It’s kinda ironic because of how the game mechanics of From Soft games encourage and expect player collaboration. I mean even if you’ve never used a summon, I’ll bet you didn’t find the Dark Souls DLC area without a helping hand.

Every game is improved by more people enjoying it.

• tan00k@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I can see complaining about it if the game’s design is affected by the changes. For example, the addition of compass/map markers greatly affects quest design.

It’s also why imo some of elden ring’s bosses suck if you try to solo them - they’re designed with summons, spirits, and overleveling in consideration.

On the flipside it seems like the boss design in sekiro gets a lot of praise. I’m playing through sekiro now and don’t have an opinion on it yet (though the combat does feel very good so far).

I’m not a git gud person (I’m quite the noob at souls games) though, and I hope they continue to make their games more accessible. But I understand how veteran fans of their games might be concerned about changes that may affect how they like to play.

• Squirrel@thelemmy.club
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Yeah, Sekiro made me realize that I do, indeed, suck. I’m fine with Dark Souls and Elden Ring.