Our first computer was an IBM, and the first pc game that i remember is called Kindergarten, i wish i remembered more about it though, i would love to watch on youtube and get a nostalgia boost haha

• zxvro@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

GTA Vice City. I remember “concealing” weapons by switching to the empty hand near police officers, since open carrying a minigun didn’t seem legal. The cheats were very fun in that game aswell, like cars driving on water, or who could forget the classic “panzer”. Also it really looked like real life, but if one were to play VC now, you’d wonder what was wrong with my eyes as a kid lol. That seems to be a common sentiment about old 3D games though, really impressive how advanced 3D tech became in a few years.

• The_Digitalfigment@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s very likely one of my first PC games was a Humongous Entertainment game. Putt-Putt Joins the Parade or Putt-Putt Goes To The Moon were probably my introductions. I also remember playing Elf Bowling on my Grandma’s Windows 95 computer every time I would visit her house.

• Hyacathusarullistad@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It would have to be the Learning Company’s Treasure Mountain!, which the computers in my classroom had in Grade 1. I liked it just fine, but a few years later my Grade 4 computer had Ancient Empires and that’s the one I really got into. My teacher once agreed to break school rules and send the floppy disk home with me because I refused to get off the computer at the end of day.

• tangelo@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards. Played it on a monochrome green EGA monitor. The “copy protection,” such as it was, asked us who Richard Nixon’s running mate was and we didn’t know enough English at the time to comprehend. After trial and error, managed to get into the game and didn’t have a flaming clue what we were doing. A ripping good time, it was.

• DoucheAsaurus@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Oh man, that game was an experience. My friends and I had to discover everything through trial and error. I remember laughing so hard when we clogged the toilet in the bathroom and drowned haha

• tangelo@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I went on to play all seven (well, technically 6: see here) and the two reboots by a German studio that came out a year or two ago. Al Lowe’s is a master of the lampoon style of humor

• Daemya@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

‘Where In the World is Carmen San Diego’ on a Commodore 64 in elementary school! I loved that game so much. Looked forward to computer class every week. Also, my cousin had a mac, I think, that had a game where you played two tanks on opposite sides of the screen, and the tanks shoot each other and drop bombs on each other. Edit: wiki tells me it was called Scorched Earth. I can still remember the sound effects…wish I could remember the name of that one! The first PC game that I really gave huge chunks of my life to was Ultima Online (Pacific shard woop woop). My first Guild experience…first dungeon crawl…ahh the nostalgia…those were good times. Cor por!

• can@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Roller Coaster Tycoon is the first that I really remember. I don’t even remember which cereal it came in but that was the best value ever.

• Rhaedas@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I’ll make you feel younger. My first game would have been something in BASIC I typed into the computer from a C-64 computer magazine. And when I fixed the typos and got it running, I saved it on tape to my Datasette. I think it was a lemonade stand simulator where you had to use your profits to buy more stuff for the next batch.

• Montagge@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Best I can remember it was a DOS game called Number Munchers. You had to dodge monsters while solving math.

• s804@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

it was really smart to make games that help educate you and are fun. i remember i played a mario words game SO MUCH!

• exohuman@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

My uncle gave us a bunch of PC games for my 286 pc. Among them was a Spider-Man game, a chess game, a couple classic arcade games, and ascii game that started with a Z that I can’t remember the name of, Leisure Suit Larry, and a side scroller with a woman with a sword. I was so young. I learned DOS fast and was playing the games. I liked to walk around as Leisure Suit Larry but I never understood the point of the game until I saw the sequels in my later teens.

• MeowKittyWow@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The first computer my family had was a really old one with MS DOS. First game was either Nibbles, or a weird platformer called Dark Ages (can’t remember which I tried first).

• jargoggles@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s probably the first game I remember playing, but that was at the computer lab at school.

I’m having a tough time remembering the first game I actually had on our own computer at home. It might have been Encarta Mind Maze which came with the Encarta Encyclopedia CD.

• PlainsKeeper316@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, I played it in the computer lab. At home my first game was probably solitaire or minesweeper on Windows 3.1. That Encarta maze was fun!