Hi all, I’m trying to connect a mouse with a standard USB-A plug, which is of course missing from the M1 laptop. I’d like to avoid using extra converters if possible, so I thought the screen’s USB socket will just work fine, except that they don’t. Do you know, is it possible somehow to use these as intended?

• ReaderTunesOctopus@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Thanks, I think that’s it. That also means I can’t avoid using a dongle, because according to Apple, two USB-C slots are enough for everything, one is taken by the power, the another by the screen input. Damn.

• Dandroid@dandroid.app
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It costs a pretty penny, but USB C docking stations are really nice, especially if you have more than one computer. You can have your power, mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers, ethernet cable, external storage etc. all plugged into the docking station, then just have one USB C cable from the docking station to your laptop and everything is connected.

My work sent me one, and now I can swap between my work laptop and my personal laptop easily.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I have something similar, a hub with several USB slots and HDMI, but it drains the battery and gets insanely hot which annoys me. I don’t know if that’s a design flaw of this exact thingie or a general issue of these things

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I have something similar, a hub with several USB slots and HDMI, but it drains the battery and gets insanely hot which annoys me. I don’t know if that’s a design flaw of this exact thingie or a general issue of these things

• Dandroid@dandroid.app
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

My dock provides power for my laptops, so I don’t need to worry about losing power. It also doesn’t get very hot, just a little warm. I have the Dell dock since that’s what my work provided for me. I feel it’s overpriced for what it is, but it is nice, and I didn’t pay for it. :)

• isdfoa@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I connect my MacBook pro to external monitor. The usbc-c cable I use does both charging and HDMI over the single USB c cable, so I don’t need to use a separate port for charging!